Social Security is a lot easier to understand if you know about 9 basic concepts. In the last episode, we talked about these four topics:
- Social Security credits
- Calculating your benefits
- Your full retirement age
- The earnings limit
This week, Devin and John finish up the list with:
- Length of marriage rules
- Why there are different benefit amounts, and how you can get the higher one
- Spousal benefits, including Medicare
- Survivor benefits, including Medicare
- Social Security taxes
- Qualifying for divorced spouse benefits.
- How the spouse’s “one-half” benefit isn’t taking away from your benefit.
- What is a Social Security tax torpedo, and do you need to be worried about it?
- What is provisional income?
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Big Picture Retirement, Episode 17: 9 Social Security Benefits
Devin’s Social Security Intelligence blog, and this article: Social Security Survivor Benefits: The Complete Guide to Who Gets What and How to Calculate It
Contact us at: Questions at BigPictureRetirement.net